Topic: Fashionista, Fashion Stylist and Fashion Designer

Hello..

I have had a busy week at work.  The travelling and field work are always somthing I look forward to.  But this week..the cold was a no no.  But am glad today Friday the sun is out.  Yesterday was my husbands birthday and we celebrated it in style and with family.

Today i thought of talking about a few terms that we are using sooo often these days.
I understand that there are some peculiar diferences between 3 main terms I relate to: fashionista, fashion stylist and fashion designer..  :)

According to Urban Dictionary and some others vague definitions (I swear I tried to use a more reliable source), Fashionista is “a person devoted to fashion clothing, particularily unique or high fashion”. Some other definitions evoke some obsession or slavery to fashion. Some others name Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City) as an original fashionista, some others say that a fashionista might be a fashion designer (or not).
On Fashion Stylist, I’ll quote a fashion stylist, via her Blog: “A fashion stylist is someone who selects clothing and accessories for a fashion advertisement or editorial. There are many different types of potential clients for a stylist. For example, a celebrity may hire a stylist to dress them for a red carpet event or for their private life. The job description varies widely as some stylists work on exclusive projects like music videos, acting as a costume designer to create one-of-a-kind looks for the star.”
On the other hand, says Alexandra, in the same blog post: “Fashion designers create clothing, and they may not necessarily be great stylists. They typically sketch the item or outfit, create the pattern, pick out the fabric and trimmings, sew the garment, and fit the garment to the individual. If the garment is mass-produced, there is someone who liaisons with the factory to make sure that each piece turns out as planned. The product of a designer is the actual garment.”

Which means, in short:
a fashionista loves- and buys services/products or promotes them;




a fashion stylist selects- and sells a service/product;



a fashion designer … well, designs and sells a product.



I’m not saying that one person can’t have it all – you gotta love clothing to design and to select them, right? – but a fashionista or a fashion stylists could not be prepared or have what it takes to be a fashion designer; and a fashion designers could be lawsy at styling. :)

So, when the subjectiveness of “talent” and “amazing” are compared objectively, maybe being only a fashionista or a fashion designer isn’t enough. I know I’m not a fashionista, in the sense of “loving “clothes and trends, and  I don’t always know how to put together 2 pieces of cloth for myself sometimes, either. But will that make me a not-so-good fashion designer?  At the same time..am good at selecting clothes..recommending for friends or family..  I cant sew a garment yet..but i can sketch the item or outfit. I can pick out Chitenges but not all fabrics for a pattern.  Hmmm....yet am here on this blog showing you different styles, patterns you could have made with an eye for uniqueness.

Well lets objectivity decide. Meanwhile, maybe you can pick something up out of this journey!
What do you have to say??  Your comments keep me going.

If you have an outfit pic that you would like to share, send it to
kaluswikakakoma@gmail.com





KaKKi
xx

13 comments:

  1. hello, its sooo refreshing to read an authentic Zambian blog. I love your blog and now i'm following. feel free to check out mine.
    www.90schick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on Bloglovin, GFC or Facebook?

    Please leave a comment on my blog and follow by blog!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    You can also like my Facebook page.

    https://www.facebook.com/Kstylick

    I will follow you back! XOXO

    Korean Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ford is probably the hottest males trend creative fashion designers to achieve his very own label, although his or her state for you to trend began way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The “little black dress” is such a timeless fashion staple gracing most women’s closets worldwide, but how do you go about finding one that will not only make you look fantastic, but for a reasonable price? Fashion Design Solutions has compiled five quick tips to keep in mind when looking to buy this little number. Check out Robecart.com Designer Women's Top Fashion Brands it has the best selection of fashionable clothes, jeans, dress, bags, shoes, accessories, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! SizeGenie is your personal body scanner. Quickly and accurately take your measurements so you always get the perfect fit when buying clothes online. Body-Cloud is the creator of SizeGenie, with a Kickstarter campaign on the way aiming to change fashion shopping for good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on GFC?

    Please leave a comment on our blog!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

    https://www.facebook.com/Kstylick
    https://instagram.com/kstylick/

    we will follow you back! XOXO

    Korean Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. This is really useful to us, try to share more information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the main theme of this blog. It really helps me to foster the content building. DigitEMB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice article & have great information. spa810 professionals utilize the most advanced laser hair removal Lakeway system, the Alma Soprano ICE laser, to give you smooth skin that is free from hair. check out page > www.spa810.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. Men fashion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing with us so good information. I can engage with so many new blog website and i read & know so many things.

    Fashion Designing Course

    ReplyDelete


  13. Excellent! I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your good effort.

    web design austin
    austin web design

    ReplyDelete